BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care Degree Online
Our BSc Health & Social Care degree programme is delivered in collaboration with the University of Sunderland. It is designed for people seeking to improve their skills in the important world of Health & Social Care and achieve an internationally-recognised degree award.
Learners are able to study the course using blended learning techniques. This involves studying online content, participating in webinars and online group discussions, along with great one-to-one study support from a highly-qualified and experienced tuition team.
BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care Degree Online
Our BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care degree programme is delivered in collaboration with the University of Sunderland. It is designed for people seeking to improve their skills in the important world of Health & Social Care and achieve an internationally-recognised degree award. Learners are able to study the course using blended learning techniques. This involves studying online content, participating in webinars and online group discussions, along with great one-to-one study support from a highly-qualified and experienced tuition team.
- Understanding Health and Social Care – Click here for more details!
- Research and study skills for the social care professional – Click here for more details!
- Social Problems
- Dimensions of Health & Social Care
- Applied Qualitative Research in the Social Sciences
- Exploring Psycho-Social Theory
- Working Together to Safeguard Vulnerable Children, Young People and Families
- Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences
- Early Life Course Approaches in Health & Social Care
Elective Modules (Pick any 3):
- Health Improvement & Healthy Lifestyles
- Counselling Approaches in Practice Settings
- Sex, Families and the Construction of Personal Lives
- Medicalisation, Normality and the Body
- Gender, Diversity & Human Rights: Global Perspectives
Year 4 (1 semester only)
- Practical Applications (work placement & experience)
- Life Course Approaches to Health, Social Care and Ageing
Elective Modules (Pick 1):
- Substance Use and Society
- The Clinical Gaze: Medicine, Disability and Confinement
- Violence, Gender and Society
- Global Health
- Entrepreneurship and Project Management
Study in a way that suits you
Our online BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care degree is completed through our online interactive learning management system.
Everything is online so you can manage your study time in a way that suits you. You are only required to attend one group event – the induction session with your tutors at the start of each semester.
Our tutors will help you to become an independent learner, gaining knowledge of both theory and practice and being able to apply critical thinking skills to a range of real-life scenarios.
Our learners have found that the blended learning format helps them to combine study with work and family commitments. Our team of student advisors are on hand to support learners to develop their study skills and plan ahead to achieve their learning goals.
Introduction to the degree
Our BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care degree is offered in collaboration with the University of Sunderland.
The strengths of our level 7 comparable degree lies in the way in which academic theory and real life practice are integrated to provide a solid foundation for a career in the world of Health and Social Care.
This degree programme is suitable for students who are currently working within or who are seeking to pursue a career in the broad area of Health and Social Care. This BSc (Ord) in Health and Social Care will support learners to develop a critical understanding of health and social care research, legislation, theory, policy and practice.
Students will study psychology, sociology, social policy, legal studies and research methods. Many job roles and positions advertised for Team Leaders and Supervisors in Health and Social Care require applicants to have a degree in Health and Social Care in addition to at least two years work experience with the Service User group. This degree programme may also act as a bridge for students hoping to pursue Masters level study in a wide variety of health and social care related areas, for example, Occupational Therapy, Applied Behavioural Analysis, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Public Health, Health Promotion and Social Work.
Our degree programme combines academic theory with real-life practice to upskill learners for the changing world of Health and Social Care:
- Understand the theory and practice of bio-psycho-social frameworks within which health and social care operates
- Gain the knowledge and confidence to critically analyse health and social care data in the context of the care sector
- Apply critical thinking skills to health and social care, both in Ireland and within a global context
- Understand multi-disciplinary working practices in multi-agency settings
- Gain the skills to progress to further study and/or professional training in this exciting and dynamic area
All our course modules and learner supports are designed to help you develop as an autonomous learner. There is a structured programme of voiceover lectures, discussion forums and fortnightly webinars to:
- Develop your understanding of the key issues that exert an influence on health, social care and wellbeing.
- Help you gain a comprehensive understanding of Health and Social Care policy and practice.
- Explore the contemporary issues that influence health, social care and the wellbeing of individuals and communities, from theoretical and practical perspectives.
Chevron’s degree programme offers unrivalled support to all our learners:
- Highly qualified and experienced tutors.
- Online & interactive course content, discussion forum & webinars – study when it suits you.
- Discussion forum with tutors live for a scheduled 6 hours per week- this allows students to receive feedback on learning and teaching activities.
- Scheduled Webinars which occur fortnightly to prepare students for assessments.
- Compulsory Induction meet-up to get you started. Relevant modules and Webinar schedules are released during this Induction session.
- The opportunity to avail of formative feedback on draft assessments.
- Studies Advisor to assist with study plan and skills, in addition to referencing support.
- Recommended reading uploaded on online platform.
- Access to University of Sunderland e-library & research supports.
- Health and Social Care is a diverse field, with opportunities to specialise in areas such as young people, mental health, ageing, elderly care, or drug and alcohol abuse support
- Health and Social Care graduates work in the HSE, care providers, social care organisations, charities, and other public, private and voluntary sector health agencies
- Further study is also a popular option, with some graduates choosing to pursue our BSc (Hons) Health & Social Care degree
- Qualification gained: BSc (Ord) Health & Social Care degree awarded by the University of Sunderland
- Assessment method: 2 modules have exams, all the rest of the modules are assessments through assignments
- Course cost: Course fee for year 1 & 2 is €224 each month for 24 months. Instalment plans also available for year 3 & 4.
Tax relief available, subject to Revenue rules. You may claim receive relief at the standard rate of tax, which is 20%. This is applied to the total qualifying fees.