New BER Virtual Programme
6 Day Virtual Course: Monday 16th, Tuesday 17th, Wednesday 18th, Monday 23rd, Tuesday 24th and Wednesday 25th November 2020
QQI Domestic BER Course
Chevron Training and Recruitment Ltd. is the leading provider of accredited BER training in Ireland.
The company’s commitment to the provision of the highest quality of BER training is demonstrated by its delivery of its practical, skills focused, QQI Level 6 accredited training programme.
Chevron’s BER training programme is designed and delivered in accordance with our robust quality assurance procedures, which ensures that learners are benefiting from best practice training methodologies and are provided with the necessary knowledge, skills and competence to pursue work opportunities as a BER assessor.
Sustainable Energy Authority Ireland (SEAI), the Regulatory body for energy sector has published guidelines for persons considering undertaking a BER Assessor Training Course and what to take into consideration when making your choice.
The following is a summary of the SEAI recommendations and information on how Chevron Training deliver the best option for all students considering undertaking a QQI Domestic BER Course.
Paddy Loughman is our lead lecturer on the QQI Building Energy Rating programme. A Mechanical Engineering graduate by profession, Paddy has been a BER Assessor for Dwellings and Non-Domestic properties since 2008, having carried out thousands of BERs.
Paddy has delivered BER training since 2008, also developing and designing course materials to keep up to date with BER methodology and changes to Building Regulations over the years. Most recently, he has developed and delivered Chevron’s completely new BER course covering NZEB requirements and the new DEAP 4.2 web-based software.
As well as the standard QQI BER courses, Paddy has provided custom courses to suit the needs of architects’ and engineers’ practices – and refresher sessions for those preparing for the SEAI BER Assessor exam.
Paddy is a Registered Technical Advisor for SEAI’s Heat Pump Grant scheme and is also Chevron’s representative at SEAI’s BER Trainer workshops.
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to carry out Building Energy Rating (BER) assessments on dwellings in compliance with the current Occupational Standards for Building Energy Rating (BER) Assessor for Dwellings and Corresponding Requirements for Training Programmes leading to Building Energy Rating (BER) Assessment published by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI).
CPD Recognition: Engineers Ireland CPD approved (40hrs of CPD credits)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the current European and National legislative background relevant to the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive
- Describe the assessor obligations and operation of the BER administration systems
- Explain the current Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) methodology 2
- Describe the requirements set out in Part L of the Building Regulations and other relevant Building Regulations
- Determine and record BER-relevant details from plans and specifications of dwellings
- Determine and record BER-relevant details through survey of new and existing dwellings
- Determine the fabric and ventilation parameters for heat losses and gains
- Determine the lighting energy usage parameters
- Identify space and domestic hot water heating systems
- Use the current DEAP methodology and software to produce a BER certificate and advisory report for dwelling types of varying complexity
- Critically evaluate and communicate the details of a BER certificate and advisory report 12. Explain how to optimise the energy performance of dwellings with consideration to relevant standards, codes and practices
- Identify options to achieve compliance with Part L of the Building Regulations for dwellings
Classroom – 6 consecutive days from Monday to Saturday, from 9 am to 5 pm. The average class size is 10 students.
Online – 2 months online access plus 2 days in the classroom
The cost of the QQI Domestic BER course (classroom or online) is €1495
You are required to have a level 6 or equivalent in a construction related topic. You should also have good IT skills.
Construction professionals seeking to become BER assessors – this will require you to complete the QQI level 6 award, pass the SEAI exam and meet the registration requirements.
QQI Building Energy Rating Assessment (Dwellings) level 6 Award (Component)- 6N0732
An assessment methodology comprising of four assignments, a practical exam and a theory exam must be successfully completed to achieve the QQI Level 6 component award in Building Energy Rating Assessment (Dwellings). The individual assessments are weighted as follows:
- Assignment 1 (5%)
- Assignment 2 (15%)
- Assignment 3 (15%)
- Assignment 4 (15%)
- Theory Exam (10%)
- Practical Exam (40%)
Learners seeking to progress to the SEAI national exam need to achieve a minimum mark of 70%.
No formal work experience is required for this course
Exemptions can only be claimed for learners who are completing a full major award. Therefore, learners are not permitted to apply for an exemption from any element of this course.
Having successfully completed this course, you may decide to pursue a career as a BER Assessor and/or an Energy Consultant.
This course leads to a level 6 award on the National Framework of Qualifications You can progress to relevant level 6 major award courses on the National Framework of Qualifications or level 7 award courses.
SEAI recommend that you give careful consideration to evaluating the information given about the qualifications and experience of the course trainers.
Chevron Training invest heavily in our trainers, all of whom are highly qualified professionals, holding at least an Honours degree in an Engineering related discipline along with holding a FAS train the trainer qualification. We require that all trainers have a minimum of 5 years experience in a training role such as at a third level institution, and all trainers must have obtained a mark of over 90% in the overall BER examination.
In addition, as Chevron Training is Ireland’s only dedicated Energy Training Specialist, uniquely offering a complete suite of energy related training course, we are dedicated to our trainers continual professional development by providing ongoing training to our trainers in the areas of air pressure testing, thermal imaging, solar, biomass, heat pump, and wind energy, all of which will broaden your learning experience with us.
SEAI recommend that course material should cover the learning outcomes stated in the ‘Specification for BER Assessor Training Programmes for BER of New Dwellings’ in sufficient detail to ensure you thoroughly understand the theory behind each element of the DEAP calculation.
Chevron Training employ highly qualified industry Academics to develop our course notes, reference materials and case study examples. We then have them reviewed by an independent body, include all recommendations and sign off on the final documentation. We work through each learning outcome in the module descriptor, one by one, designing comprehensive explanations in all required areas. Our course materials have been designed to be as much benefit to you both during the course and after the course when carrying out real life BER assessments.
You are required to have access to a laptop/notebook. Laptops/notebooks must meet the following specifications:
- Pentium (or equivalent) 133 Megahertz (MHz); Pentium III (or equivalent) or higher recommended.
- 256 MB RAM, 50 GB of hard disk space
- DEAP Software does not run on Apple Mac computers
- Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution monitor with 256 colours
- Running Microsoft XL spreadsheet software
- Running Adobe Acrobat Reader software
Prior to attending the course, it is recommended that you read the following documents:
- European Communities (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations 2005
- Technical Guidance Document for Part L of the Building Regulations 2008
- Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure Manual
Once you receive your QQI level 6 award in Building Energy Rating Assessment, an application for an Eligibility ID number can be made to SEAI. An Eligibility ID number is required to book the SEAI exam.
QQI certification dates for 2018 are available here
SEAI’s domestic BER exams are administered by Prometric and the exam can be taken at any of the 41 Prometric Test Centres, located across the country.
The 2 hour computer based exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions. Each of the questions has been randomly selected from a bank of questions and there is only one correct answer for each question. Candidates must achieve at least 50% in each section and achieve an overall score of at least 70% to pass the examination. The exam fee is €100 plus VAT.
On successful completion of the SEAI national exam, you will be required to fill in a registration form, accept the code of practice, submit certified ID, submit a tax clearance cert and fill in a direct debit mandate to complete the registration process.
The SEAI registration fees are:
- Initial registration €750 (VAT will not be applied to this fee)
- Initial registration of second employee €375 (VAT will not be applied to this fee)
- Annual registration renewal €75 (VAT will not be applied to this fee)
- Publication levy on each cert €22.50 (VAT will not be applied to this fee)
We don’t offer classroom based part time BER Courses as we feel that the course does not lend itself to that delivery format.
Instructionally this course requires a good knowledge of theory followed by a strong practical focus, concluding with an exam preparation section. This works best for you when delivered in a block, rather than in short sessions.
The BER Assessor Course is available as either a classroom based or distance learning course. Please note IT Skills and Internet Access are required to complete a course by Distance Learning.
You will be issued with a username and password which allows you to log-in to your course anywhere you have an Internet Connection and at any time. This allows you to complete the course at a time and pace that suits your individual needs. You will have access to the course materials plus support documents and useful links and video clips. All course materials can be printed if you prefer a paper copy. In addition, you will have access to Tutor support via an online forum.
SEAI recommend you familiarise yourself with what level of support, if any, will be provided to learners by the BER Assessor training company, after you have completed the course.
Chevron Training student support is Unmatched. We are committed to the ongoing needs of our students and boast the following support structures to assist students for 1 year following course completion:
- Free telephone support from our full time student support officer Mr David Collins to answer any technical or DEAP software queries you may have
- 24 hour guaranteed turnaround email response to technical support queries
- DEAP Software Support team to assist with any query you have in relation to software operation and configuration
- Free Revision Course offered to all students, where you can revisit a classroom course in any location across the country
- Discounts on other energy training courses as you progress your energy career
- As a dedicated Energy Training provider we are fully immersed and up-to-speed with Energy Industry related information and legislation
In compliance with Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 Part 6, where Chevron Training and Recruitment Ltd. offers training programmes of 3 months duration or more, Learner Protection cover is in place via relevant financial product, should Chevron Training & Recruitment Ltd cease to provide QQI programmes before learners have completed awards.
Non conflict of business interest guarantee: We are fully committed to student learning. By focusing 100% on training you to become a BER Assessor, and by not directly competing with you by running our own BER Assessment service, you can be guaranteed your individual success is of paramount importance to us. We pride ourselves on providing you with as much transparent information as possible about the BER industry and vital market opportunities. We provide ‘you’ with ideas on how to develop an energy assessment rating business, while we focus on our business of training.
Chevron Training is extremely proud to offer and support the most comprehensive QQI Domestic BER Course in the market today.